Friday, March 3, 2017

1979: Tedral Side Effects?

I got to thinking about the horrible side effects of Tedral described by other people my age who used it as a kid to control their allergies/ asthma. Many of them described having hallucinations. At first, I figured these descriptions of side effects were probably just exaggerations. However, there were a few events that occurred in my childhood that make me wonder if I had these side effects too, just blamed them on something else.

Actually, these descriptions were by people older than me. I was just a little kid when I took the medicine, and thankfully it was no longer used by the time I was ten. However, I was unfortunate (or fortunate, depending on how you look at it) enough to get to experience the tail end of its run as a top line allergy/ asthma treatment.

Here is one of the comments (unedited from medschat.com)
I took tedral in the 60's and another drug which was a smaller pill with a brown coating. I suffered mostly unpleasant hallucinations when I was small and they were not always when I was sick. I no longer have the life threating athsma as I did when I was a child. Over time my inquiries about the hallucinations were never answered. So it is interesting to read about others experiences here. I always thought it was a combination of the drugs and the reduced oxygen and air in my body. I think tedral probably saved my life also. The halluncinations very occasionally revisit me as I am falling asleep and if i am becoming ill.
Here's another:
I also took tedral on the late 50's for asthma and experienced similar side effects including hallucinations, but without the medication I'm not sure I would've lived. Our family doctor still made house calls and I can remember her coming to our house at all hours of the night to save my life. She was something else. I think the Tedral was the reinforcement if the adrenalin wasn't able to restore normal breathing.
And another:
Wow!!!!! I have always wondered why I would see the spiders on the ceiling's and what happened to them. I too remember taking the thick yellow asthma medicine (how I googled and ended up here) I used to surround myself with Teddy Bears to protect me. I never knew it was the medicine. I used it as a child 4 years old 1960''s to 1970's when primitine mist came on the market. I now know where my restlessness, inability to sleep and over abundance of energy /hallucinations came from and that I wasn't a bad child just effects of the medicine that I hated to take. Preferred the eperine shot in the arm even as a child.
And...
I thought i was mentally unbalanced. Seeing enlargements of real life in front of me. Increased hearing sensitivity. Shrinking rooms in front of me own eyes. For years thinking it was me. An unbalanced. Self. It all stopped as i got older until one day I was having an asthmatic condition and took the medicine the doctor had me take 3 times a day! Tedral!. The truck in front of my eyes, as i worked on the engine, seemed to shrink like what happened 5 ears previously. when I was taken tedral regularly. I wasn't crazy after all--- It was the medicine! Anyone else experience shrinking heads, feelings of speed' before the term existed? Why was it taken off the market? Everyone have these problems? It would be nice to hear from others about their Tedral experience. This occurred 1952 ...
That's how often I took it, sometimes.

 I don't want to dwell on this, but I do remember hallucinating at nighttime. I remember dreading going to bed sometimes. This was because, just after I was relaxed on the bed, shortly after I closed my eyes, I would still be wide awake but not be able to move. I would become completely paralyzed. These episodes would last several long moments. I would become very panicky, as you might imagine.

I swear I was not dreaming when these occurred. As I noted above, I would dread even attempting to sleep because I was afraid I would have one of these paralytic episodes. I was afraid that the next one might be the one that never went away.

I remember waking up and not wanting to even try going back asleep. I would be wired. I would read a book. I would write. I would even look at my homework and consider doing even that. That's how desperate I was not to go back to sleep.

So, I would finally get tired and would eventually fall asleep. Then I'd have these horrible dreams that I still remember to this day. I remember having this recurring dream about how this monkey would come through my window (even though it was closed) and would try to convince me to go with it. He would be wily and goofy, as monkeys can be. He would tell me how good it was. I would be scared to death of this monkey. I would try to get away. I would look at my door. But, as so often occurred in such dreams, the monkey had the power to paralyze me. I was unable to move for the door.

I would wake up horrified. My heart would be racing. I would go and open the door. I would turn on the light -- but the light would not come on. Sometimes the light came on and popped off, as though the monkey had used his power to make the light bulb burn out. I wanted so bad in these moments to wake mom up. But, they happened so often, that I had better not.

Then, the next morning, the light would work fine.

So, were these events hallucinations due to Tedral?

There were also moments I would be home with the flu. I always thought it was a treat to get to lie in mom's bed, and that's what I got to do when I was sick. However, I remember being so sick on these days that I didn't really get to enjoy it. Not only would I be extremely nauseated, I would also have a headache so horribly bad that I felt my head was going to explode. I would feel so miserable that I would cry. I know mom felt bad for me, but there was nothing she could do. These episodes would last about one day. The next day I would be fine, and I was probably back at school.

Now, it's surely possible these episodes were caused by the flu. However, I have had the flu many times since then, but have never had it that bad. So, this makes me wonder: was it the Tedral? Was it an accidental Tedral overdose?"

I mean, none of these events may have been the medicine. However, considering similar stories I have now read about Tedral, one can't help but wonder.

Anyone out there have any Tedral experiences, please feel free to share your stories in the comments below.

27 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asthma is a condition characterized by difficulty breathing and narrowing of the airways leading to the lungs (including the nose, nasal passageways, mouth and larynx). Natural asthma treatments are suggested to prevent, control and cure asthma, asthmatics and bronchitis. visit http://www.hashmidawakhana.org/natural-asthma-relief.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my yes! I once hallucinated that I broke the stabler, Mom just looked at me weirdly and sent me back to bed. Tedral got me so hyped up and I didn't know that i should have said something. AmA terrible dreams about opposites! Thick and thin, near and far, evil and good. Thankfully, no monkeys in mine
    This was in the 60's

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my yes! I once hallucinated that I broke the stabler, Mom just looked at me weirdly and sent me back to bed. Tedral got me so hyped up and I didn't know that i should have said something. AmA terrible dreams about opposites! Thick and thin, near and far, evil and good. Thankfully, no monkeys in mine
    This was in the 60's

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember taking liquid Tedral as a child in early 60's. It tasted like honey, anise (black licorice) and salt. Yellow, thick and nasty. I do remember seeing things (people in the corner of the room, or closet) but I don't remember much else. I do know the phenobarbitol (downers) and theophyline (speed) experiences made me never touch any of the very available drugs shared in the later 60's and 70's. I had had enough. The medicine did help. We were poor, so I was fortunate the times I had some of the medicine. My sister used to have me sit on the side of the bed and she would hit my back to help me try to breathe. Tough days and nights. Very grateful to my sister.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember my Mum saying as I walked out the door each morning, "Teeth, toilet, Tedral."
    I didn't miss any of them.
    For several years !
    So was I just wasted without even knowing ?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tedral® ruined my life from age-4 to age-13. Then a steroid inhaler was prescribed. It had different side-effects from Tedral®. My health collapsed when I was age-26. Dr. Carl Reich prescribed Vitamin D and other nutrients. My asthma was cured in one night! It never returned as long as I was taking Vitamin D.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recently started researching my husband's asthma meds he took as a child abdb a teen. Tedral was it.He is 53 now. He experience severe nightmares and to this day, His hands shake uncontrollably.. Especially when trying to use them. Doctors have tried to help him but have not been able to. Long term side effect of Tedral??? Please tell me if anyone has this and used Tedral.. And he does NOT have Parkinsons. He also has depression anxiety and short tempered easily angered. I truly believe this may be because he took Tedral.. He was and is abgentle soul and would not and has not hurt anyone and yet he still angers easily. Long term Side effect? We are talking he has had tremors since he was a kid on Tedral. He is seeing a professional.. Thanks for any insight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your hubby will likely benefit from a detox but it will have to be gentle. Homeopathic Nux Vomica 30c, 5 tablets sublingual 3 times a day should help with the toxic after effects of a powerful stimulant like tedral. Tedral is just speed. I took it as a kid.
      Perhaps Acupuncture and Chinese Herbal Medicine would help his tremors and calm his liver. Try that asap. I think you're on the right path.

      Delete
    2. I just came across this. I’m the same age as your husband and took Tedral as needed as a kid. I never had hallucinations but had suicidal thoughts as a kid. As an adult my hands can get shaky, sometimes I
      have an urge to shake them, it’s soothing, I don’t know why. I have anxiety issues and mild depression I was hyperactive and had/still have trouble concentrating. Like your husband I can loose my temper quickly (rarely), not sure if that is out the ordinary. I took a lot of other meds for Asthma as a kid including an early Bronchodilator which was later taken off the market. I hope your husband is better. They can test these medications for years but it could be 30 years later until the side effects are truly known.

      Delete
    3. I just found this and took Tedral I’m the late 60s and 70s. Was researching this very thing. I have some lingering symptoms too but wonder if was that I used it at such a young age? It was a miracle for me. It worked so well. Tasted terrible though. I could barely choke it down and often needed a new dose. 😆

      Delete
    4. UPDATE :
      Hello. THANK YOU to all who posted comments in reference to my post about my husband, Tedral and his Tremors and other symptoms. I posted that 3 years ago.. december 2018.. here it is December 2021 and his tremors increasingly have gotten worse. It affects everything he tries to fo with his hands, writing, using a utensil, drinking from an open cup. Impossible. I feel sorry for him. He has begrudgingly applied for Disability IN ABOUT 2017 and has been denied for the last nearly 4 years.. we have appealed several times . This post isn't about the disability case, but of course about his tremors and possible connection with Tedral. AGAIN, TREMORS HAVE INCREASED. Thank you for any more insight. Stay safe during these unpredictable times.

      Delete
  9. I used to have the walls coming in on the rooms, high as a kite. Hated trying to sleep. Dry mouth. I stopped taking Tedral for about 8 years. I accidently gave the dotor the wrong drug name and asked for a Tedral script, instead of Ventolin. I took one and the same old hallucinations came back, so it was definitely Tedral.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I took Tedral in the 70s and NOTHING has ever worked anywhere close to how well Tedral worked. I would take it again in a heart beat. I took it once a day and felt like a million bucks! Now I huff and puff with every breath I take. Ventolin and Flovent just don't cut it.

    from "Wheezy"

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember as a youngster in the mid sixties taking Tedral (when I could keep the disgusting stuff down) for what they then called "Cardiac Asthma". After stumbling in this page I remembered similar night-time hallucinations - taking the form of my thinking that the room had shrunk or my hands and feet were suddenly a very long way away! Thankfully my Asthma disappeared at the age of 10 never to return.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hallucinated terribly and I think it was Tedral. They were blue pills. I would get a voice in my head that would give me impossible orders, like wash a million handkerchiefs in one second, and I went around the house crying give me a handkerchief. My sister, who slept in our room with me said I saw all kinds of things in the room.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I took Tedral as a kid of the 60's until the late 70's. I've had asthma since 6 months old and from the earliest time i can remember I was taking Tedral. It was that thick yellow nasty tasting goo in a brown bottle, and it was kept in the fridge. I to hallucinated but never new it was the Tedral meds. I always thought it was just from being sick, i know that for years after stopping that med I still had hallucinations occasionally. Scary stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I took Tedral in the 1960s as a kid..I would get the shakes bad but what I realise now,it also made me high..The worst part was I'd break out in an itchy rash all over my body..So glad those days are gone....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry for the late reply. I took Tedral and have all the symptoms you describe of your husband I also have anxiety, depression, short temper. Did you feel support? I’m on anti aniexty medication now and need help with my depression. Any insights? I hope he is better now

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was on TEDRAL age 8 & later 12 50 yrs ago for asthma. I always thought the fact I have had fluctuating hypertension for 41 years & I think TEDRAL contributed. I also hallucinated figures outlined in neon rainbow colours coming into the room!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My son was given Tedral in the 70's. He started taking it around 7 or years old. It helped him, but he hated, and I mean hated to take it, he complained of head aches, after taking it, but it helped him breathe. He would shake and really complain about headaches- I the mom also had asthma and one day, I took a spoonful of tedral for my wheezing- Never, I mean Never would I give anyone this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't recall ever hallucinating on Tedral. I remember it was the most foul tasting medication I have ever taken. I hated it. My asthma wasn't very severe. It was mostly due to the smog of the 70s. By the time I was 18 I was taken off the drug completely.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was on Tedral in the 70's it was rotten yellow thick syrup. I had no effects from it maybe if I had I wouldn't have to take it 😂😂. But I must say it did work got completely out of asmthma. I was very bad spent my earlier years in hospital. I was out of having asthma by 10 yrs anyway. I still remember it came in a six pack bottle brown box. Rather any other six pack bottles now 😂

    ReplyDelete
  20. I too was on tedral as a young child in the early 70s I had hallucinations that I was talking to my s in my room and the mice will coming into my bed with me I also had hallucinations of ghosts in my mother and father's room that I was in that they the ghost we're playing piano I dreaded sleep at night I was a very skinny child also because I didn't want to eat when I was on the medications of tedral and liquid phenobarbital for my anxiety because of taking these medications by the age of 8 are developed alopecia universalis which is total hair loss which I believe the medication contributed to my autoimmune disorder of alopecia universalis now at age 57 I do have asthma which I take albuterol for it's not as bad as it was when I was so so young and I also take allergy medication such as Allegra for my allergies still have alopecia universalis at age 57 but I do have a wonderful family and wonderful sons

    ReplyDelete
  21. I also forgot to mention that I too also used to get very bad headaches from the medications and my mother used to give me Excedrin at a very young age crushed on a spoon with water to swallow because the Saint Joseph aspirin that I was given as a child was not working anymore so she switched me over two Excedrin which actually at that time helped with my asthma because of the caffeine she also had given me coffee at a very young age while I was I was drinking coffee in the first grade I haven't stopped drinking coffee since

    ReplyDelete
  22. My name his Steve Maries and I am from United State.I am so happy today, and i also appreciate the genuine work done by one love spell caster DR ONOBUN GABRIEL(WATER). And to give me the right direction to get back my Ex, so today I got my wish fulfilled under the guidance of my love Spell caster Dr ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER). ❤️ love is an important part of relationship. I can understand this, when my boyfriend had cheated on me and dump me, by engaging another girl’s with affairs at that time, I was Broken and realized the importance of love when my boyfriend, dump me in my life in relationship with him of love. My boyfriend did not give me the importance's of true love, and he always embarrassed me in front of his friends and family's, and I love my boyfriend so much. Then I search on the Internet to fine a spell caster that can
    bring back Ex, fine on me “one day" I find a real spell caster Called DR ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER) So I got the contact number +2349132393661 and his Email onobunwinhome@gmail.com of this spell caster DR ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER)” then I drop a message on his email that I want my Ex boyfriend back, because I so much love my boyfriend and also on his WhatsApp Number too, and I explain all my problems that is happening with me. So then Dr ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER) show me his previous work done by himself and how he had help so many people to get there Ex back and also help so many pretty once to get cured in there diesass and sinkness and to guide me on how the work will be done. Then i start work to get my boyfriend back in a positive way that Dr ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER) have interested me to do to get my boyfriend back, to start giving me respect and also never to leave me again for another girl. Then and now, I am 😀 so happy and thankful to Dr ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER). So Dr ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER)
    prepared a magic spell and cast a spell on my boyfriend to get him back to me, immediately, it work, my boyfriend
    was back within 24hrs time and now my Ex boyfriend his back to me now begging me in positive and nagative side effects, and to have him back again,
    and my boyfriend promise now that he will never, to leave me again for another girl. Me and my boyfriend is 🍷 wine forever more. I am so happy now that my Ex boyfriend is back by DR ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER) spell. Dr said I should share is testimony on interview and internet once my boyfriend is back to me, and that is why I am sharing his good testimony in the internet and interview to have others to come for help in contact. So if you have a broke up with your Ex, contact Dr ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER) on his email onobunwinhome@gmail.com and explain, Or call his phone Number or Whatsapp +2349132393661 for help.



    ReplyDelete