Friday, March 24, 2017

1894: Alabone's compressed air inhaler

In 1894, Edwin W. Alabone became the first to develop an inhaler that used compressed air "pumped up by hand," according to W.E. Collision in his 1934 book "Inhalation Therapy Technique. (1, page 3-4)

Collision said Alabone probably wasn't the first to come up with this idea, and that he probably got it when he was in the United States.  He was, however, the first to introduce this type of inhaler to Britain.  (1, page 3-4)

This was a significant invention, because in 1902 Professor Speiss of Frankfort would use a similar concept in creating a nebulizer that would become very commonly used in inhalatoriums during the 1920 and 1930s.

References:
  1. Collision, W.E., "Inhalation therapy technique," 1935, London, William Heinemann

2 comments:

  1. Copper Freer offers reliable and professional air compressor service. We provide our services in Leicester, Peterborough, Corby, Northampton, Nottingham, Derby, UK, Milton Keynes, Kettering, Coventry, and Lincoln. We offer regular services to yearly maintenance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello everyone I want to testify about how Dr Ohikhobo cured me from herpes with is herbal remedy. I promise him I was going to let the world know how Dr Ohikhobo cured me ..It all started when my ex  effected with herpes I cried almost every night I felt like giving up in life until I came across a blog where a lady was sharing testimony of how Dr Ohikhobo cured her from herpes within two weeks so I decided to give him a try here I am today completely cured from herpes. Once again thanks Dr Ohikhobo for helping me get my life back I will never forget you for your marvelous work in my life I am grateful. you can reach him for your own cure too. He also cures canker sores, genital warts, hpv, cancer and so many other diseases
    Email: drohikhoboherbalcenter@gmail.com

    Whatssap: +2348103601042
    His blog:  https://drohikhoboherbalcenter.blogspot.com/   

    ReplyDelete