Wednesday, March 29, 2017

1900: Park-Davis Glaseptic Nebulizer

The Glaseptic nebulizer was used to aerosolize
Solution to the respiratory tract: nose, mouth
and lungs.  It was a "handy apparatus" and
produced a fine spray by squeezing the rubber
bulb.  The nebulizer and throat piece were made
of glass because some solutions chemically react
with metals.  It was easy to use and portable.(3)
When epinephrine was discovered at the turn of the century, and it was proven to be useful in ending asthma attacks, a device was sought out to deliver the medication directly to the lungs. 

The only logical options at the time were glass nebulizers that worked by squeezing a rubber bulb.  One such product was the Park-Davis Glaseptic Nebulizer made by Parke-Davis & Company in Detroit, Michigan.

Older nebulizers were made of metal, and some medicines reacted with metal.  So the newer nebulizers were made of glass.  On the box is written:  "Ready for instant use, easily kept clean and efficient with either oily or watery liquids. Effective in producing a spray with only small quantities of liquid. No metal to corrode or affect the medicinal properties of solutions".

The product was described by the editors of Therapeutic Notes in 1910 this way: (2, page 215)
The working parts of this apparatus consist of one piece of glass, with one rubber bulb and tube and glass throat piece. The base is of metal, nickel plated. Under light pressure upon the bulb the medicament is drawn by the air current to the top of the inner tube and expelled as a fine spray. Oils of all densities, as well as aqueous, spirituous and ethereal liquids, are nebulized instantly, though there may be only a few drops in the reservoir. The Nebulizer is three and one-half inches high, and is marketed in a neat carton.
1907 Ad for Adrenaline Solution and Glaseptic Nebulizer (1) It provided
another option for physicians and their patients.
Another article in the same magazine notes: (4)

MEDICATED VAPORS—HOW TO EMPLOY THEM.
We have an interesting pamphlet bearing this title which we shall be pleased to send to any of our readers on request. It deals with our line of Inhalants and also our Glaseptic Nebulizer. The latter is a big advance on other atomizers. As its name implies, every part of it with which the contained liquid comes in contact is of glass and can easily be kept aseptic. There are no loose parts to be lost and no metallic tubes to corrode. As it operates effectively with only a few drops in the reservoir it is a most economical apparatus; moreover, it can be securely sealed by the introduction of a single cork, thus preventing evaporation and spilling of contents, and facilitating transportation in the pocket or instrument bag. It produces an excellent spray, when either an aqueous or oily liquid is used.
The Glaseptic Nebulizer came in boxes as seen here.  It was
manufactured and sold by Park-Davis & Co., Detroit, Michigan
An advertisement on page 212 of the same catalog notes there is only one glass part of the nebulizer, and it's the part the solution goes into. The only other working part is the throat piece, which costs $1.25.

Epinephrine (Adrenaline) came in small glass ampules that were snapped open, and the liquid contents were spilled into the glass reservoir.  Water could be added to the solution for a longer treatment. The patient would place the mouthpiece up to her lips and create a mist by squeezing the bulb.

Other medicines were also recommended for inhalations, such as Acetozone and Chloretone for hay fever.  For hay fever, either of these, or adrenaline, was squirted into the nasal passages for quick relief of symptoms.  (2)

The Glaseptic Nebulizer only cost $1 and was readily available for those who needed it.  Plus it could be used either in the doctor's office or in the comfort of your own home. 
This article and picture are from the Therapeutic Times. The nebulizer produced a fine spray
that was ideal for atomizing soluble medicine to the respiratory tract, particularly the nose and
throat.  It was also an ideal way to apply adrenaline directly to the respiratory tract.  It was simple,
and portable, meaning it could be used in the doctor's office or by asthmatics at their homes.
I am posting it here mainly because I think its a good close up of the nebulizer.
(From Therapeutic Times, volumes 28-32, Park, Davis & Co., 1921)
References:
  1. Advertisement from Surgical journal, Volume 14 By International Association of Railway Surgeons, American Association of Railway Surgeons, page 472, railway surgical journal, 1907.  You can find another ad in Pharmaceutical Review, 1907, volume 25, Hoffman, Fredrick, Edward Kremers, editors, advertisement page 78
  2. "SUGGESTIONS AS TO THE LOCAL TREATMENT OF HAYFEVER AND ACUTE AND CHRONIC CATARRHS," Therapeutic Notes, Volumes 17 and 18, Park Davis and Company, 1909 and 1910, page 215
  3. Leyden, Hans, "Preliminary Remarks in regard to the Percutaneous Method of Applying the "Ehrlich-Hata 606," Therapeutic Notes, Volumes 17 and 18, 1909 and 1910, Park Davis and Company, page 168 (also see advertisement on page 212)
  4. "Medicated Vapors and how to employ them," Therapeutic Notes, Volumes 17 and 18, 1909 and 1910, Park Davis and Company, page 5

7 comments:

  1. Hello everyone I want to testify about how Dr Ohikhobo cured me from herpes with is herbal remedy. I promise him I was going to let the world know how Dr Ohikhobo cured me ..It all started when my ex  effected with herpes I cried almost every night I felt like giving up in life until I came across a blog where a lady was sharing testimony of how Dr Ohikhobo cured her from herpes within two weeks so I decided to give him a try here I am today completely cured from herpes. Once again thanks Dr Ohikhobo for helping me get my life back I will never forget you for your marvelous work in my life I am grateful. you can reach him for your own cure too. He also cures canker sores, genital warts, hpv, cancer and so many other diseases
    Email: drohikhoboherbalcenter@gmail.com

    Whatssap: +2348103601042
    His blog:  https://drohikhoboherbalcenter.blogspot.com/   

    ReplyDelete
  2. THE POWER OF HERBAL REMEDY TO CURE GENITAL HERPES  It’s a pleasure for me to write this testimony about how i got my Genital Herpes cured a month ago. i have been reading so many comments of some people who were cured from various diseases by Dr .Hazim, but i never believed them. I was hurt and depressed so I was too curious and wanted to try Dr. Hazim , then I contacted him through his email. When I contacted him, he assured me 100% that he will heal me, I pleaded with him to help me out. My treatment was a great success, he healed me just as he promised. He sent me his medication and asked me to go for check up after 21 days of taking the medication. I agreed with him. I took this medication and went for check up after 21 days of the treatment, To my greatest surprise my result came out  negative after the treatment, I’m very happy that I was cured and healthy again. I waited for 3 weeks to be very sure if I was completely healed before writing this testimony. I did another blood test one week ago and it was still Herpes negative. so i guess it's time i recommend anyone going through Herpes, HSV-1 or HSV-2, HIV, HPV, Hepatitis B, Diabetes, Cancer, ALS  to contact this great man through his Email (usmandrhazim@gmail.com) OR add him up on whatsApp  +2349058026857Thanks Doctor Hazim Usman  

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was diagnosed of herpes 3 years, and ever since then i have been taking treatment to prevent outbreaks, burning and blisters, but there was no improvement until i came across testimonies of Dr. VOODOO on how he has been curing different people from different diseases all over the world, then i contacted him. After our conversation he sent me the medicine which i took according to his instructions for up to 2 weeks. After completing the medication i went back to my doctor for another test and the virus was all gone and i was completely cured, since then i have not had any signs of outbreak. I'm so filled with joy. With herbal medication Herpes Virus is 100% curable. I refer Dr VOODOO to everyone out there with the virus Email: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com Add Dr voodoo on whatsApp +2348140120719

      Delete
  3. this is real take it serious, who will believe that a herb can cure ten
    years HIV in my body, i never believe that this will work i have spend a
    lot when getting drugs from the hospital to keep me healthy, what i was
    waiting for is death because i was broke, one day i hard about this great
    man who is well know of HIV and cancer cure, i decided to email him,
    unknowingly to me that this will be the end of the HIV aids in my body, he
    prepare the herb for me, and give me instruction on how to take it, at the
    end of the two week, he told me to go to the hospital for a check up, and i
    went, surprisingly after the test the doctor confirm me negative, i thought
    it was a joke, i went to other hospital was also negative, then i took my
    friend who was also HIV positive to the Dr voodoo after the treatment she
    was also confirm negative . He also have the herb to cure cancer please i
    want every one with this virus to be free, that is why am dropping his
    email address, voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com i want you to email him he
    is a great man. the government is also interested in this Dr voodoo
    thank you for saving my life, and I promise I will always testify
    for your good work you can also add him on whatsApp
    +2348140120719

    ReplyDelete
  4. THE POWER OF NATURAL HERBAL REMEDY TO CURE GENITAL HERPES TO 100% NEGATIVE It's a pleasure for me to write this testimony about how I got my Genital Herpes cured a month ago. I have been reading so many comments of some people who were cured from various diseases by Dr .Hazim, but I never believed them. I was hurt and depressed so I was too curious and wanted to try Dr. Hazim , then i contacted him through his email (usmandrhazim@gmail.com)  when i contacted him, he assured me 100% that he will cure me, i pleaded with him to help me out. My treatment was a great success, he healed me just as he promised. He sent me his medication and asked me to go for check up after 21 days of taking the medication. I agreed with him. I took this medication and went for check up after 21 days of the treatment, To my greatest surprise my result came out  negative after the treatment, I'm very happy that I was cured and healthy again. I waited for 3 weeks to be very sure if I was completely healed before writing this testimony. I did another blood test one week ago and it was still Herpes negative. so i guess it's time i recommend anyone going through Herpes, HSV-1 or HSV-2, HIV, HPV, Hepatitis B, Diabetes, Cancer, ALS  to contact this great man through his Email (usmandrhazim@gmail.com) OR add him up on whatsApp  +2349058026857Thanks Doctor Hazim Usman 

    ReplyDelete
  5. i want to  inform the public how i was cured of herpes  Virus by a Doctor called Dr ishiaku. i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on Herpes and i saw comment of people talking about how Doctor ishiaku cured them. I Was scared because i never believed in the Internet but i was convince to give him a try because i was having no hope of been cured of herpes so i decided to contact him on his email, i searched his email on net and i saw a lot of people testifying about his goodness. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without problem, my HERPES result came out negative. You can contact him on his
    Email: ishiakuherbalcure@gmail.com or whatsapp him via +2348180828544 and get all your problem solved.
    1)Sickness of any kind
    2)Help to CURE Hepatitis B, herpes, HIV/AIDS CANCER and BIPOLAR
    3)Divorce, Breakup problem and To Re-unit
    4)Pregnancy problem
    5)Financial problem and Job promotion
    6)To get a good and rich life partner
    7)To Lose your wrath
    8)to enlargement of manhood

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm 61 years old. I contracted hpv in 2011' I has be taking lot treatment for it and embarrassed some months ago the wart stated coming out seriously, I used lot recommendation because there was lot warts around my anus and was so . but today I'm totally happy I got the virus eliminated by using natural treatment from Dr voodoo herbal center after his treatment I got cured. all the warts went away' seriously believed Dr. voodoo he have the cure for human papillomavirus because he has eliminated hpv been in my body since 2011, Dr. voodoo make it possible for me. Here is Dr. voodoo email: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com or WhatsApp him via +2348140120719 he is welled capable of curing terrible diseases.

    ReplyDelete