Wednesday, April 5, 2017

1930s: Asthma Nefrin and the Devilbiss Nebulizer

One of the cheaper options for asthmatics during the 1930s was to purchase a DeVilbiss Glass Nebulizer No 40 and use it to inhale epinephrine or another solution.  It came with a rubber bulb syringe. 

Epinephrine (Asthma Nephrine was a brand name) was removed from the glass vial by using a bulb syringe dropper.  Two to three drops were placed into the nebulizer, or as instructed by a physician. 

The directions, per the package insert, for using the inhaler are as follows:
Directions and box for the DeVilbiss Glass Nebulizer Number 40

"This Nebulizer is especially designed for use with 1:1000 Epinephrine solution prescribed in the treatment for asthma.  It produces a vapor free from drops that can be inhaled into the air passages.  Also available for water, oil, or glycerine base solutions where the treatment requires a vapour instead of a spray...
"Grasp the bulb firmly using the fingers against the palm of the hand, rather than two or three fingers against the thumb.  Keeping the mouth wide open, place throat tube (A) just inside the teeth and direct it toward the back of the throat.  Inhale deeply while compressing the bulb.  
"If less volume is required cover the vent hold (B) with a finger or the stopper.  After using nebulzer, always replace both stoppers to prevent any possible entry of dust or dirt."
Asthma-Nefrin
The instructions recommended washing the nebulizer with a water solution with vinegar in it.  This was the same instructions I was given for my plastic nebulizer in 1985, although the new recommendation is just to use soap and water. Although it would never hurt to use vinegar.

Epinephrine solution (Epinephrine Chloride, Asthma Nefrin)  was a nice option until 1972 when the FDA removed the solution from the market due to a scare that the medicine was linked to asthma related deaths. 

However, the FDA also noted that there was no specific evidence linking asthma nefrin with asthma deaths. 

The Devilbiss Nebulizer remained on the market until the 1950s when the modern inhaler was invented. 

7 comments:

  1. Thank for sharing this impressive blog. Are you looking at good price for nebulizer machine

    ReplyDelete
  2. DR AGBOMIAN herbal medicine is a good remedy for herpes simplex virus cure. My name is LOGAN BATE, am from USA,I am here to give my testimony about DR AGBOMIAN who helped me in my life, i want to inform the public how i was cured from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) by DR AGBOMIAN , i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Familiar, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about how DR AGBOMIAN cured them, when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without any problem, my HERPES result came out negative, I pray to God to never let me and my family forget you in our life, am now cured permanently, you can also get your self cured my friends if you really need this doctor help, you can reach him on his Email: Dragbomianherbalcured77@gmail.com or via whatsapp +2347040843115

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why taking those drugs and supplements that can't even get rid of the Herpes Virus?. I advise you to contact Herbalist Agbomian the caregiver and get cured from your Herpes disease once and forever!, His herbal medicine is the best! trust me, I have no doubt about doctor Agbomian herbal medicine cause his herbal medicine is so powerful and effective. I’m talking from experience because I was cured from my HSV2 by this great doctor within just two weeks of me using his medication. Forget! about Modern Medicine and Use Herbs, Real medicine comes from the Earth and not from the LAB.. For getting rid of your herpes within just two weeks, reach the Herbal doctor on email Dragbomianherbalcured77@gmai.com or WhatsApp him with his contact info +2347040843115. For more inquiries, Herbal Doctor AGBOMIAN is my lifesaver and i love him so much for getting me cured from my long term genital herpes (HSV2) and i vowed and promised him that i will keep testifying about him and his good work till my last days on EARTH. He can also cure: Cancer, Kidney Disease, Diabetes, Fibroid, Staphylococcus, Stroke, Sinuses, Lupus, Cold Sore, Hepatitis B, Candida Ablicans, Sickle Cell Anemia Disease, Ebola and many more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This year 2020 has already been a great blessing to me through the sincere help I got from Dr Agbomian who help me cure my HIV Virus and also make me believe that with God all things are possible. I lost hope after all the hope I got from various Herbalists who claim to help me but they end up showing their self wrong. I will advise you to work with Dr Agbomian to sort out your health issues. He also cures Herpes, Cancer, Diabetes, HBP, Fibroids, infertility, BV, STD and lot more. Contact +2347040843115 or email (dragbomianherbalcured77@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found out, that taking herbal treatment is the best to get rid of HPV as soon as i feel the symptoms of HPV is appearing, i took the healing process by contacting Dr Onokun for natural treatment, it works wonders and amazingly. Ever since I had the herbal treatment i have not feel these virus anymore and my doc told me the virus is gone, i am glad i finally got cured out from this disease. Any HPV or herpes patients should also get in touch with this herbalist Dr Onokun to get ride of any disease forever his You can contact him on his Email: Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com or you can reach out to me for more info about this treatment. text/call me i live in the USA (208) 425 7799

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited right now, I just have to share my testimony on this Forum.. The feeling of being loved takes away so much burden from our shoulders. I had all this but I made a big mistake when I cheated on my wife with another woman  and my wife left me for over 4 months after she found out..  I was lonely, sad and devastated. Luckily I was directed to a very powerful spell caster Dr Emu who helped me cast a spell of reconciliation on our Relationship and he brought back my wife and now she loves me far more than ever.. I'm so happy with life now. Thank you so much Dr Emu, kindly Contact  Dr Emu Today and get any kind of help you want.. Website (https://emutemple.wordpress.com/) Via Email emutemple@gmail.com or Call/WhatsApp cell number  +2347012841542 

    ReplyDelete
  7. HOW I GOT RID OF HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS BY DR ISHIAKU

    I want to inform the public how I was cured of herpes simplex Virus by a herbal Dr called ISHIAKU. I visited different hospitals but they gave me a list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which are very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedies on Herpes and I saw comments of people talking about how dr ishiaku cured them. I Was scared because I never believed in the Internet but I was convinced to give him a try because I had no hope of being cured of herpes so I decided to contact him on his email, i searched his email on the net and I saw a lot of people testifying about his goodness. When I contacted him he gave me hope and sent a Herbal medicine to me that I took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without any problems, my HERPES result came out negative. You can contact him on his what - sapp him via (+2348180828544) or email ishiakuherbalcure@yahoo.com and get all your problems solved.

    ReplyDelete