Wednesday, October 12, 2016

1859: Mathieu's Nephogene

Mathieu's Nephogine (Nebulizer) (1)
Modern nebulizers work by means of the Bernoulli Principle, where air is forced through a narrow tube, a negative side stream pressure is created, and medicine is sucked into the flow through a small opening in the tube, thus producing a fine spray or mist.  This concept was first used in a nebulizer in 1859 by M. Mathieu of Paris.  

A nebulizer is any device that creates a mist.  The first nebulizer was introduced in 1858 by M. Sales-Giron, and it required an operator to work a pump similar to a bicycle pump to generate a flow that caused the solution to spray onto a hard surface to produce a mist.  

Similar to Danielle Bernoulli's realization that the same mist produced by forcing water onto hard a surface could be produced by his Bernoulli Principle, Mathieu discovered the Bernoulli Principle would be ideal for creating an effective nebulizer.  He got the idea from the concept of treating ailments of the mouth and throat with a spray produced by squirting water out of a syringe.  (2, page 188)

On May 9, 1859, at the Paris Academy of Medicine,  he introduced his product, which he called the Nephogene (nebulizer), to the Medical Academy at Paris.  It was not a pulverizer or atomizer because it didn't pulverize nor atomize, it simply broke the solution into "a cloud or nebula"; it thus nebulized. (2, page 188)

The nebuliezr is described here:  (1, page 462-463)
"In it the subdivision of the medicated fluids is brought about, not by checking the jet against a solid body, but by forcing the fluid to escape at high pressure, along with a blast of compressed air, through a tube with a small opening. Fig. 2 shows Mathieu's original instrument. In it the air is compressed in the brass ball, A, by means of the pump above it, whilst the fluid to be atomised is put  into the glass ball, B. As soon as the instrument is set in motion the two stopcocks are opened, when; the medicated fluid escapes drop by drop into the tube c, and there meets the blast of compressed air, which forcibly projects it outwardVin the form of a very fine but cold spray." 
Another version designed by Mathieu can be seen in figure 18, and thus described here:
"This apparatus (Fig. 18) is composed of a glass reservoir c, in which the liquid to be employed is poured through the little funnel G. On compressing the air in the pump B, by motion of the lever A, the fluid is forced through a small groove in one of the plates forming the joint D, and by turning the screw H, the smooth plate is more or less compressed against the groove, thus regulating the delicacy of the stream. A stream as fine as the finest hair can be thus secured if the instrument be properly constructed. This capillary stream against the upper portion of the cylindrical metallic drum E, whence it is diffused in a very fine spray. A waste-pipe f, conveys the excess of fluid back into the reservoir. The force with which this little apparatus works is evident on removing the drum, when the stream will be projected up for several feet, then falling like a fountain. It is said that at a few inches distance the stream can be projected into the skin, thus forming a mode of endermic medication." (2, 193-194)
Before 1862 all the nebulizers produced were either based on the Sales-Giron or Mathieu design.  It was in 1862 the mechanisms of Mathieu's idea was greatly improved upon by a German named Dr. Bergson when he introduced the Bergson Apparatus and Inhaler in 1867.

Reference:  
  1. Beatson, George, "Practical Papers on the Materials of the Antiseptic Method of Treatment," Vol. III, "On Spray Producers," Coats, Joseph, editor, "History of the Origin and Progress of Spray Producers  ", Glasgow Medical Journal, edited for the West of Scotland Medical Association, July to December 1880, Vol. XIV, Alex and Macdougall, pages 461-484
  2. Cohen, Jacob Solis, "Inhalation in the treatment of disease: it's therapeutics and practice," 1876, Philadelphia, Lindsay and Blakiston
RT Cave Facebook Page
Rick Frea's Facebook
RT Cave on Twitter
Print Friendly and PDF

4 comments:

  1. As a sign of gratitude for how my husband was saved from asthma , i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My husband suffered asthma and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because he was my all and the symptoms were terrible, we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure him. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many other with similar body problem, and he left the contact of the doctor who had the herbal cure to asthma . I never imagined asthma has a cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my husband will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my husband used it and in one months he was fully okay even up till this moment he is so full of life. asthma has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098765@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks for reading my story

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would without reservation recommend working with "Rick Simpson Oil", My honest Gratitude goes to Dr. Rick Simpson for saving my dying life with his high quality RSO Hemp Oil, with the potency of the THC content in it very high. Some years back I was diagnosed with a deadly disease cancer of the lungs, we tried all kinds of medication all to no avail and also we even tried producing the DIY Rick Simpson oil at home ourselves but we were doing more harm than worse, Until I saw a post on facebook on how Cannabis Oil had cured a cancer patient then i decided to give it a try behold when i contacted Dr. Rick Simpson & i explained every detail of my problem to him and he told me that this Cannabis Oil will heal my cancer problem only if I can order for it as soon as possible. He then calculated the dosage for me to buy i think the dosage he calculated was 60grams of the oil which I ordered plus "30grams maintenance free" I was told that if I order for the Cannabis Oil right away by the next 48 hours the medication will get to my door step through the delivery services, Immediately I ordered for it behold it was delivered with the usage instruction manual at the exact time which i was told by Dr. Rick Simpson, Today i can boldly say I'm now free from my Cancer problem all Thanks to God Almighty, Dr. Rick Simpson and my lovely wife who stood by me during those years. I'm now living a healthy life and my utmost priority of sharing this short testimony is for those who are suffering from this Deadly Cancer Disease, Please don’t die in silence there is a cure for this Deadly Cancer Disease today. Without wasting more time kindly Contact Dr. Rick Simpson for ( "Rick Simpson Oil" RSO ) via Email: cbdoilfort@gmail.com or WhatsApp +1-781-656-7138.

    Today I acknowledge the greatness of Rick Simpson Cannabis Oil and to those that wish to purchase the medication kindly contact Dr. Rick Simpson via Email: cbdoilfort@gmail.com or WhatsApp +1-781-656-7138.
    Cannabis Oil is the medication for Cancerous Disease. Save your life and that of others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HERE IS MY STORY…
    I am very happy to announce that the cannabis oil is for real. Two years ago I was diagnosed with cancer and it was already in stage 4 before I got to hear of the cannabis oil. I had no hope what so ever because the doctors had told me I have few Months left. I ordered online from Dr. Paul cannabis oil and it was delivered to me in 3 days of request along with the prescription, immediately I started applying for 6 weeks and the results was wonderful. Don’t die when you have the cure right beside you. You can create your own cannabis oil but it would be best to contact the right source to get the right quality cannabis oil. In my case I contacted simpsonrick95@gmail.com they helped me and I am for ever indebted to them just save your life by ordering for the cannabis oil, contact: Dr. Paul and get the oil treatment from him, try it and you will not regret it because it truly works and here is his email: simpsonrick95@gmail.com
    I wish you all quick recovery…

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello viewers I am glad to have met with the powerful herbal healer called
    Dr voodoo who use his herbs to cure my HIV disease I suffered from 15years,
    but now I am a happy woman and i am free from this sickness that has been
    problem to my living, after using Dr voodoo herbal medicine within 1week i
    was diagnose negative, I will recommend Dr voodoo to everyone reading this
    article because this herbal healer is capable to heal anything, the
    scientist said has no cure, Email him : voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com or
    add Dr voodoo on whatsApp: +2348140120719

    ReplyDelete