Wednesday, August 16, 2017

1960s: Did rescue medicine cause a spike in asthma deaths?

A spike in asthma related deaths forced physicians to take a closer look at this disease. Upon review of the available data, they began to surmise that the very medicines meant to make life better for asthmatics was responsible.

The spike in asthma rates correlated with the releases and increased advertising of the new metered dose inhaler that was introduced to the market in 1957.  The first to be released to the market were the Medihaler Epi (epinephrine) and Medihaler Iso (isoprenaline).  As word got out there were devices asthmatics could carry in their pockets or purse that would give instant relief from asthma, sales of the device skyrocketed.  (5, page 11)

This followed a rise in the death rate.  According to Speizer, Doll and Heaf in 1968:
It is evident that an increase in mortality began to occur in about 1961 and that all ages between 5 and 64 years of age have been affected.  The greatest increase in mortality has taken place at ages 10 and 14 years, the ages the rate has increased eight times, from 0.3 to 2.5 per 100,000 persons.  The increase has, however, been substantial at all ages from 5 to 34 years, and at these ages the annual number of deaths increased by 308 and the death rate trebled from 0.7 to 2.2 per 100,000 persons.  (7, page 336)
They further noted that that for the purposes of their study, the investigated only data obtained for the age group of 5-34, mainly because as asthmatics get older "mortality from bronchitis begins to exceed that from asthma."  (7, page 336)

Initial studies involved questioning the attending physicians of the patients who died from asthma.  F.E. Speizer, Doll,  Heaf and Strang  in 1968 reported their findings.  (9, page 342)
Excessive use of pressurized aerosols was reported by 29 general practitioners without specific inquiry having been made.  The reports ranged from  a vague implication, such as "tended to use aerosols too frequently" or "suspicion of excess aerosol at death," to direct observation such as "died clutching aerosol" and a detailed account of the amount consumed.  In extreme cases the use of as many as two canisters per day or two in two hours was reported. (9, page 342)
Investigators speculated that, perhaps, such asthmatic were victim of the false sense of security provided by the inhalers.  Instead of seeking help, they continued to puff on their inhalers.  By the time they called for help it was too late.  (5, page 12-13)

Upon further review of the data, they learned that asthma death rates remained stable in most nations where asthma death statistics were available. However, there were significant spikes in six Western countries: England and Wales, Scotland, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, and Norway. (1, page 15) (2, pages 15-19)

In England, in particular, the asthma death rate was stunningly high.  According to Speizer, Doll and Heaf in 1968, the asthma death rate in England "accounted for 5.7% of all deaths at ages 10 to 14 years, it ranked sixth in the list of causes of death." (7, page 336)

Since the sharpest rise in asthma deaths was limited to six nations, investigators searched for something that was particular to these regions.  What they learned was reported by Beasley, Pierce and Crane. They noted that isoprenaline forte... contained a concentration of isoprenaline two to eight times greater than the standard isoprenaline metered dose inhaler available in other countries. Epidemics occurred only in countries where the high-dose preparation of isoprenaline was available; and in the two countries which marketed the high dose preparation and had no increase in mortality, it was introduced late into their markets per-capita sales were low." (1, page 16)

When the product was later pulled from these markets and the death rate declined, this proved to many researchers that this was probably the cause.

References; ???
  1. "Asthma Statistics, "AAAI.org, http://www.aaaai.org/about-the-aaaai/newsroom/asthma-statistics.aspx, accessed 9/29/13
  2. Beasley, Charles Richard William, Neil Edward Pearce, and Julian Crane, "Worldwide Trends in Asthma Mortality During the Twentieth Century," chapter two in the book "Fatal Asthma," edited by Albert L. Shefer, 1998, New York, Marcel Dekker, pages 13-29
  3. Woolcock, Ann Janet, "Natural History of Fatal Asthma," chapter 14 of the book, "Fatal Asthma," edited by Albert L. Shefer, 1998, New York, Marcel Dekker, pages 179-196
  4. 1940s: Why did asthma morbidity and mortality increase
  5. Altman, Lawrence K., "The Public Perception of Asthma," Chapter one of the book "Fatal Asthma," edited by Albert L. Sheffer, New York, Marcel Dekker, Inc, pages 3 and 11





References:  See "1940-1970:  Asthma morbidity and mortality spikes"

9 comments:

  1. HERBAL MEDICINE THAT CAN HELP YOU GET RID OF HERPES DISEASE/VIRUS........
    Do you need a herbal products to cure your Herpes Disease contact Dr. Kham to help and he will surely help you to cure your Herpes Virus in two weeks time ..i has suffered from Herpes Virus for 4 years that almost took my life, but one day I was searching for the possible cure on internet, so luckily i found so many Reviews about Dr. Kham on how he Help people in curing their deadly diseases, and i contact Dr. Kham asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health..he prepared a powerful Herbal medicine for me and i received The herbal medicine and after using it for 2 weeks my condition has greatly improved, all my symptoms/outbreak was stop, so i went to my doc and was confirmed negative.I am Herpes Virus free! contact this Herbal doctor via his email dr.khamcaregiver@gmail.com or Whatsapp: +2348159922297 but you can also visit his website: https://drkhamherbalhealingcenter.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

  2. Hello Am From The UK , I want to write a little testimony about the good work of doctor Oyagu who cured me from Hsv 1 and 2 for just 2 weeks with his herbal medicine, I never believe I can be normal again and have a good life like others I always regretted the day I got diagnose with the virus, I was lost of hope when my doctor told me there is no cure for it but I keep thinking and thinking about my future, if I can have kids of my own well I am so grateful for my helper who get me cured with his herbal medicine, I go online in search of anything that can help me because I can’t deal with it forever so I found this doc Oyagu email on a blog of someone who was cured by him I quickly contact him for help and explain all my pain to him, he told me not to worry about it there is cure for real, I never believe until he send me the herbal medicine when I order for it and I have it within 4 days that is how I took the medicine for 2 week and the following week I go for test just to confirm I was 100% cured from this sickness what a miracle in my life I am so happy right now, you can also get in contact with him if you have such sickness through email address oyaguherbalhome@gmail. com or text him on what's app, phone number +2348101755322 Dr Oyagu also has remedy to others disease like COLD SORES,HIV/AIDS,DIABETES.CANCER,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND MANY MORE. I oblige everyone to contact this powerful herbalist Dr Oyagu and be free from suffering.

    ReplyDelete

  3. Hello Am From The UK , I want to write a little testimony about the good work of doctor Oyagu who cured me from Hsv 1 and 2 for just 2 weeks with his herbal medicine, I never believe I can be normal again and have a good life like others I always regretted the day I got diagnose with the virus, I was lost of hope when my doctor told me there is no cure for it but I keep thinking and thinking about my future, if I can have kids of my own well I am so grateful for my helper who get me cured with his herbal medicine, I go online in search of anything that can help me because I can’t deal with it forever so I found this doc Oyagu email on a blog of someone who was cured by him I quickly contact him for help and explain all my pain to him, he told me not to worry about it there is cure for real, I never believe until he send me the herbal medicine when I order for it and I have it within 4 days that is how I took the medicine for 2 week and the following week I go for test just to confirm I was 100% cured from this sickness what a miracle in my life I am so happy right now, you can also get in contact with him if you have such sickness through email address oyaguherbalhome@gmail. com or text him on what's app, phone number +2348101755322 Dr Oyagu also has remedy to others disease like COLD SORES,HIV/AIDS,DIABETES.CANCER,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND MANY MORE. I oblige everyone to contact this powerful herbalist Dr Oyagu and be free from suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am Laura Mildred by name, i was diagnosed with Herpes 4 years ago i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn't going to ever be well again i contacted so many herbal doctors on this issue and wasted a large sum of money but my condition never got better i was determined to get my life back so one day i saw Mr. Morrison Hansen post on how Dr. Emu saved him from the VIRUS with herbal medicine i contacted Dr. Emu on his Email: Emutemple@gmail.com we spoke on the issue i told him all that i went through and he told me not to worry that everything will be fine again so he prepared the medicine and send it to me and told me how to use it, after 14 days of usage I went to see the doctor for test,then the result was negative, am the happiest Woman on earth now thanks to Dr. Emu God bless you. Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dr. Obodubu Monday is recognised all over the world of marine kingdom, As one of the top fortunate and most powerful native doctor of charms casts from the beginning of his ancestors ship until now Dr. Obodubu Monday lives strong among all other native doctors, there have never been any form of impossibility beyond the control of Dr. Obodubu Monday it doesn't matter the distance of the person with the problems or situation, all you have to do is believe in the native doctor Dr. Obodubu Monday cast that works, he always warns never to get his charms cast if you do not believe or unable to follow his instruction. it is the assignment of the native doctor Dr. Obodubu Monday to offer services to those in need of spiritual assistance not minding the gravity of your situations or distance as long as water, sea, ocean, lake, river, sand, etc. are near you, then your problems of life would be controlled under your foot. if you need any spiritual help on any of these call Doctor Obodubu on :+2349058774809
    Get Your Love Back
    Fruit Of The Womb
    Fibroid
    Business Boom
    Financial Breakthrough
    Get Rich Without Ritual
    Do As I Say
    Bad Dream
    Promise And Fail
    Epilepsy
    Land/Court Case
    Mental Disorder
    Political Appointment
    Visa Approval
    Cancer
    Examination Success
    Spend And Get Back
    Good Luck
    Natural Neath
    Hypertension
    Stroke
    Sickle cell
    Impotency
    Win Court case
    Promotion At Work
    Commanding Tone
    Protection Ring
    Marriage Success
    Love Ring
    Favour Ring
    Recover Lost Glory
    Spiritual Power For Men Of God
    Travel Success Ring
    Job Success
    Lotto/Pool Win/betnaija win
    And Many
    More make haste to call or Or WhatApp Baba Doctor Obodubu Monday on +2349058774809 for spiritual problem today and you will surely get solution to all your predicament

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am here to spread this good news to the entire world on how Dr Emu helped me solve my infertility problem and i am so happy now that i am now a mother because for over 4 years i have been trying to get pregnant and needed help, i and my husband always go for medical check up and the doctor always say that the both of us are fine and i have nowhere else to get help from and all hope was almost lost until one day i visited a friend of mine and i told her what i was passing through and she introduce me to this great spell caster called Dr Emu who helped her when she was in need of help, so i took a try to contact Dr Emu through his email and i explain all my problem to him and after we have talked he perform an infertility spell for me and after that he told me what i should do, and i followed the instruction he gave and after that he instructed to sleep with my husband and also i followed the instruction and he said that the next week i should go for medical check up and the doctor confirmed that i was 4 months pregnant and i was so happy that all my sorrows were gone for ever, i am so very happy now and also you need any kind of help or the same line with mine, contact Dr Emu on his email: emutemple@gmail.com or Call/Text his whatsapp phone number +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete

  7. My name is God'swill luckcent by name, I am from United Kingdom, i was diagnosed with Herpes for 2months, i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn't going to ever be well again. So I contacted Dr ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER), so before than
    doctors on this issue have wasted a large sum of money, but my condition never got better, i was determined to get my life back, so one day i saw a post from (John Lucy) from United States on how Dr ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER) saved her from the VIRUS with his herbal medicine cure, i contacted Dr ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER) on his email onobunwinhome@gmail.com we spoke on the issue, i told him all that, through that I need cure on my herpes diesass and DR ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER) told me that we need to buy some items for the cure, that I will have to send him the money through Western Union to buy the items by him self so that the spell will work for me for the cure and i DID send it fast and quick in, through Western Union at the Bank. so, that same day, once him have receive the money I sent to him, on Western Union Dr ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER) called me on Phone and told me that him have receiver the money that he is about to buy all the items him need for the casting of the spell and for the casting of the spell the spell will work for cure for me, and Dr also told me that, not to worry that everything will be fine soon and again once him have cast the cure spell on me, so he prepared the casting of the spell medicine on me and send it to me through Bible service air fine and told me how to use it that day, after that day of usage it, i get cured. I went to see the doctor for test ,then the result was cured ,i am the happiest man on his MUM earth ESTHER ONOBUN UWANPARA. this testimony is real.thanks to Dr ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER) for helping me cure me. God bless DR ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER) All your day will been well. you can also contact him on his email onobunwinhome@gmail.com or his Mobile phone number +2349132393661
    Dr ONOBUN GABRIEL( WATER )
    Also cure and brings EX back as followings,
    1 HIV/ADIS herbal cure.
    2 Cancer herbal cure.
    3 Joint break cure.
    4 herpes herbal medicine cure.
    5 jelee rice cure.
    6 HPV herbal medicine cure.
    7 Diabetes cure.
    8 get your ex back.
    9 Pregnancy Spell.
    10 HTP cure.
    11 Hepatitis airzzies cure.
    12 Covid 19 coronia vires cure.
    13) Asthma Cure.
    (14) I want to Get my Ex Back.
    (15) Tinnitus herbal cure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so excited right now, I just have to share my testimony on this Forum.. The feeling of being loved takes away so much burden from our shoulders. I had all this but I made a big mistake when I cheated on my wife with another woman  and my wife left me for over 4 months after she found out..  I was lonely, sad and devastated. Luckily I was directed to a very powerful spell caster Dr Emu who helped me cast a spell of reconciliation on our Relationship and he brought back my wife and now she loves me far more than ever.. I'm so happy with life now. Thank you so much Dr Emu, kindly Contact  Dr Emu Today and get any kind of help you want.. Website (https://emutemple.wordpress.com/) Via Email emutemple@gmail.com or Call/WhatsApp cell number  +2347012841542 

    ReplyDelete
  9. My name his Steve Maries and I am from United State.I am so happy today, and i also appreciate the genuine work done by one love spell caster DR ONOBUN GABRIEL(WATER). And to give me the right direction to get back my Ex, so today I got my wish fulfilled under the guidance of my love Spell caster Dr ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER). ❤️ love is an important part of relationship. I can understand this, when my boyfriend had cheated on me and dump me, by engaging another girl’s with affairs at that time, I was Broken and realized the importance of love when my boyfriend, dump me in my life in relationship with him of love. My boyfriend did not give me the importance's of true love, and he always embarrassed me in front of his friends and family's, and I love my boyfriend so much. Then I search on the Internet to fine a spell caster that can
    bring back Ex, fine on me “one day" I find a real spell caster Called DR ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER) So I got the contact number +2349132393661 and his Email onobunwinhome@gmail.com of this spell caster DR ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER)” then I drop a message on his email that I want my Ex boyfriend back, because I so much love my boyfriend and also on his WhatsApp Number too, and I explain all my problems that is happening with me. So then Dr ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER) show me his previous work done by himself and how he had help so many people to get there Ex back and also help so many pretty once to get cured in there diesass and sinkness and to guide me on how the work will be done. Then i start work to get my boyfriend back in a positive way that Dr ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER) have interested me to do to get my boyfriend back, to start giving me respect and also never to leave me again for another girl. Then and now, I am 😀 so happy and thankful to Dr ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER). So Dr ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER)
    prepared a magic spell and cast a spell on my boyfriend to get him back to me, immediately, it work, my boyfriend
    was back within 24hrs time and now my Ex boyfriend his back to me now begging me in positive and nagative side effects, and to have him back again,
    and my boyfriend promise now that he will never, to leave me again for another girl. Me and my boyfriend is 🍷 wine forever more. I am so happy now that my Ex boyfriend is back by DR ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER) spell. Dr said I should share is testimony on interview and internet once my boyfriend is back to me, and that is why I am sharing his good testimony in the internet and interview to have others to come for help in contact. So if you have a broke up with your Ex, contact Dr ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER) on his email onobunwinhome@gmail.com and explain, Or call his phone Number or Whatsapp +2349132393661 for help.



    ReplyDelete