Wednesday, December 21, 2016

1869: Lewin's Inhaler

Mathieu's Nephogene (from Lewin) (2)
There were many problems with the Nephogene (nebulizer) created by Mathieu.  The greatest concern was that the spray produced was so forceful most of the mist created pounded into the oral cavity and produced a cough, according to Jacob Cohen in his book "Inhalation: its therapeutics and practice."

This made it certain little of the spray made it to the lungs.  Of course Cohen made sure to mention that this device was not first devised to deliver respiratory medicine, but to spray medicines on any part of the body.  

The person to fine tune the device to make it more appropriate for the inhalation of respiratory medications was Lewin of Berlin.  Cohen described the device as such: (1, page 190)
Lewin, of Berlin, has constructed an apparatus with an ordinary suction pump (syringe) which forces the liquid into a reservoir, the air within which is thus compressed, and in its turn becomes a propelling force, driving the fluid, on the opening of a valve, out of a very fine aperture, whence it impinges on a convex button, and becomes thus broken into spray. This apparatus once set in action will continue to work for a considerable time without further pumping. (1, page 190)

Lewin's glass nebulizer (1)
Yet another problem with inhalers prior to Lewin was that they were all mostly made of medal.  This meant that certain medicines couldn't be used if they interacted with metal. Lewin aimed to correct this problem by using a "strong glass reservoir" instead of metal." It was also graduated with markers so the operator knew how much water to put into it.   (1, pages 194, 195)

It was covered by a "strong metal cap with three openings: one for the introduction of the liquid and the subsequent attachment of the condensing syringe; one affords exit to the capillary extremity of a slender tube which reaches to the bottom of the glass; and the third is covered by a spring safety-valve, through which the compressed air may escape after a certain pressure has been produced."  (see figure 19) (1, pages 194, 195)

To work it a "finger is placed upon the capillary extremity of the exit-tube until the air in the reservoir has been sufficiently compressed by a few strokes of the piston, when the finger is removed, and the fluid rushes out with great force and breaks upon a gilded metallic convex button secured in a glass drum, perforated to admit the stream, and attached by a support to the side of the instrument. The drum is not furnished with a waste-pipe, but is so inclined that the excess of fluid will flow over its edge into any convenient receptacle." (1, pages 194, 195)

So there were various advancements made by Lewin both to his nebulizer and to that of Mathieu's.  Yet his most significant contribution was the use of material that wouldn't react with the medicine that might be used in it.

Yet tthere were still flaws with it. It was made of glass.  It was bulky.  It was expensive.

Either way, these nebulizers provided another option for physicians and patient. They were also another step in the evolution of nebulizer therapy.  (1, pages 194, 195)

References:
  1. Cohen, Jacob Solis, "Inhalation in the treatment of disease: it's therapeutics and practice," 1876, Philadelphia, Lindsay and Blakiston, part II, "Inhalation of nebulized fluids, or sprays:  nebulized medicaments and the apparatus for their production," pages 184-212
RT Cave Facebook Page
RT Cave on Twitter
Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments:

  1. Hello everyone I want to testify about how Dr Ohikhobo cured me from herpes with is herbal remedy. I promise him I was going to let the world know how Dr Ohikhobo cured me ..It all started when my ex  effected with herpes I cried almost every night I felt like giving up in life until I came across a blog where a lady was sharing testimony of how Dr Ohikhobo cured her from herpes within two weeks so I decided to give him a try here I am today completely cured from herpes. Once again thanks Dr Ohikhobo for helping me get my life back I will never forget you for your marvelous work in my life I am grateful. you can reach him for your own cure too. He also cures canker sores, genital warts, hpv, cancer and so many other diseases
    Email: drohikhoboherbalcenter@gmail.com

    Whatssap: +2348103601042
    His blog:  https://drohikhoboherbalcenter.blogspot.com/   

    ReplyDelete

  2. i already gave up on ever getting cured of HSV2 because i have try many treatment none of them work out for me i have go to different hospital they always tell me same thing there is no cure for herpes when i came across a post about Dr oyagu, in the net from a lady called Rebecca i contacted him and he reassured me with him herbal medicine which i took according to the way he instructed, that how i was cured. I doubted at first because i have been to a whole lot of reputable doctors, tried a lot of medicines but none was able to cure me. so i decided to listen to him and he commenced treatment, and under two weeks i was totally free from Herpes. i want to say a very big thank you to DR oyagu for what he has done in my life. feel free to leave him a message on email oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com and also WhatsApp him +2348101755322..
    He can still be able to help you with this herbs medicine:
    1...ALS CURE/DIABETES CURE/EPILESY/HPV CURE/LUPUS/HEPATITIS/CANCER/GOUT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Everyone This is a great testimonial that I have to share. How Dr.Ogala saved me and my brother from herpes diseases he solves serious problem and cure any kind of diseases. Dr. Ogala cured me of my herpes in less than a week after trying for years, he's great and really knows what he's doing. I recommended it to everyone. This spell thrower is very, very good. Professional, precise, sincere and very experienced. Thank you for your work! I thank my friend for informing me of you. I need to talk to you about my problems. I didn't expect instant results and I was ready to wait a few months. To my surprise and astonishment, I started to see results after a few days of nipple. My brother was diagnosed with herpes virus, He sorted out all possible ways to get the cure, but everything was the effort turned out aborted, but after we served Dr.Ogala, who prepare herbal medicine to cure all kinds of diseases (Herpes), he sent herbal medicine to herpes virus via the courier service, and gave him step-by-step instructions on how to apply it, when my brother applied it as indicated that he was totally cured of the virus within 3 weeks of use, we are really great. Dr Ogala is Highly Recommended. That's the real thing. Try it and you won't be disappointed! NEED HELP? Contact +2347049668119 Or Mail: Drogala02@gmail.com
    (1) DIABETES, 2) HIV&AIDS,
    (3) URINARY TRACT INFECTION,
    (4) HEPATITIS B, 5) IMPOTENCE,
    (6) BARENESS/INFERTILITY
    (7) DIARRHEA, 8) ASTHMA, 9) IF YOU WANT A CHILD
    (10 IF YOU DON LAST LONG IN BED ...

    ReplyDelete