Monday, November 21, 2016

1861: Merkel supports nervous theory of asthma

Another physician who discussed his ideas regarding asthma was Dr. L. Merkel.
In his 1917 review of the history of asthma, Dr. Orville Henry Brown said the following of Merkel:
Merkel, after an exhaustive survey of the literature of asthma, comes to the following conclusions:
  1.  Asthma is an affection of the bronchi caused by a neurosis or by an over-stimulation of the nerves of the respiratory system.
  2. The cramps are sometimes useful for the purpose of preventing the entrance of foreign bodies into the respiratory tract.
  3. But from various causes this function may be exercised when it is of no benefit or use.
  4. The spasm involves the muscles of respiration.
  5. Bronchorrhea, bronchitis, dilation of the bronchi,and congestion commonly result.
  6. Asthma is usually complicated by catarrh, emphysema, and heart disease.
  7. Treatment is most efficacious if directed toward the nervous system.
  8. Inhalations are the most efficacious treatment. 
  9. The location of the neurosis cannot be stated but on that account cannot be denied. (1, page 35)
That's all I have for today.

References:
  1. Brown, Orville Harry, "Asthma, presenting an exposition of nonpassive expiration theory," 1917, St. Louis, C.V. Mosby Company; reference used: "Merkel, L.: Schmidt's Jahrb., 1861, cix, p. 225.
RT Cave Facebook Page
RT Cave on Twitter
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:


  1. Hello Am From The UK , I want to write a little testimony about the good work of doctor Oyagu who cured me from Hsv 1 and 2 for just 2 weeks with his herbal medicine, I never believe I can be normal again and have a good life like others I always regretted the day I got diagnose with the virus, I was lost of hope when my doctor told me there is no cure for it but I keep thinking and thinking about my future, if I can have kids of my own well I am so grateful for my helper who get me cured with his herbal medicine, I go online in search of anything that can help me because I can’t deal with it forever so I found this doc Oyagu email on a blog of someone who was cured by him I quickly contact him for help and explain all my pain to him, he told me not to worry about it there is cure for real, I never believe until he send me the herbal medicine when I order for it and I have it within 4 days that is how I took the medicine for 2 week and the following week I go for test just to confirm I was 100% cured from this sickness what a miracle in my life I am so happy right now, you can also get in contact with him if you have such sickness through email address oyaguherbalhome@gmail. com or text him on what's app, phone number +2348101755322 Dr Oyagu also has remedy to others disease like COLD SORES,HIV/AIDS,DIABETES.CANCER,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND MANY MORE. I oblige everyone to contact this powerful herbalist Dr Oyagu and be free from suffering.

    ReplyDelete