Wednesday, August 31, 2016

1837: Stokes defines chronic bronchitis

William Stokes (1804-1878)
In 1837 Dr. William Stokes became the first to use the term "chronic bronchitis" in his book "The Diagnosis and Treatment of Diseases of the Chest." (8, page 45)

He defined bronchitis as "inflammation of the mucous membrane," and that this condition may give rise to "dilations of the air cells and tubes, and to pulmonary emphysema."  (8, page 45)

He also said bronchitis is evident in nearly all diseases of the lungs.  In noting this, he was drawing a similarity with bronchitis, pneumonia and asthma.

Like Laennec, Stokes was among the first to explain the relationship between chronic bronchitis and emphysema, and believed bronchitis lead to emphysema. He was also the first to describe different types of sputum, such as mucoid and mucopurulent.  (1, page 86).

He also mentioned increased secretions and chronic cough as part of the condition.

References

  1. Qutayba Hamid, Joanne Shannon, James Martin, "Physiologic Basis of Respiratory Disease," 2005, Montreal, page 85-99
  2. Stokes, William, "The Diagnosis and Treatment of Diseases of the Chest," 1837, Dublin

2 comments:

  1. HOW I CURED MY CHRONIC BRONCHITIS THROUGH HERBS

    This may help those going through what I went through. I worked a long time for a Pesticide Company, and was diagnosed of Chronic Bronchitis. I used all prescribed medications and steroids yet, my condition got more complicated. The more I take antibiotics and kenalog injection, the worst the Bronchitis became. It got to a point the wheezing was just too much and I had constant fever and other complications which resulted from the drugs I was taking which couldn't provide a cure. I got feed up and went in search for a natural cure. At first, I thought I was the only one in the world was had Chronic Bronchitis, until I read a testimony of someone who got cured through herbal remedy without side effects. I contacted the doctor, explained my case and I got herbal medication which I used. Within one month of use, I was free from mucus and phlegm. In case you have someone suffering from bronchitis, you may contact Dr. Scott where I got my natural herbal cure via drevanscott@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband was diagnosed several years ago with emphysema. He was able to quit smoking and we stayed on top of any illness. He has been hospitalized with pneumonia every year. His breathing has been getting worse but oxygen levels stay in the 97 to 98 range except when he's in hospital. For a year now he has been passing out. It is only for 1 to 3 minutes and was only when he would start coughing. The doctor changed his medications around but he passes out when breathing a bit hard. Also his feet swell up and are numb all the time. He then started using a cane. i searched for alternative treatment before i was introduced to Health herbal clinic by a friend here in the United states she told me they have successful herbal treatment to Emphysema and other lungs diseases. I spoke to few people who used the treatment here in USA and they all gave a positive response, so i immediately purchased the Emphysema herbal formula for my husband and he commenced usage, its totally unexplainable how all the symptoms totally dissapeared, his cough was gone and he no longer experience shortness of breath(dyspnea), contact this herbal clinic via their email healthherbalclinic@ gmail. com Or website www .healthherbalclinic. weebly. com. Herbs are truely gift from God

    ReplyDelete