Friday, June 16, 2017

1931: The Emerson Respirator

His father worked as Commissioner of Health in New York during the polio epidemic of 1916, and perhaps as a result of this inventor John Haven Emerson (1906-1997) had a recollection of suffering from the illness as a child.  So he had a vested interest in inventing a mechanical respirator that was more efficient and more comfortable than the Drinker and Shaw Respirator.  He ultimately refined the Drinker and Shaw Respirator and came up with his own product that became the Emerson Respirator.

Like the Dinker and Shaw Respirator, the patient would lie on a table that could be slid in and out of the tank.  The table was often referred to as a cookie tray.  The side of the tank, which was blue, had portal windows so nurses could have access to the patient whenever they needed.  Over the patient's head was a mirror they could see behind then. The bellows were stored under the tank, which was lightweight, and wheels were added to make the devices mobile. (1)

The machine could also produce a large range of tidal volumes by adjusting the pump settings, and it was relatively quiet (a noted improvement over the Drinker Respirator).  In the event of power failure there was a hand crank at the foot end of the device so the doctor or nurse (or later the inhalation therapist) could provide breaths manually. It was also simple to produce, which made it affordable.   It was said to be about half the cost of the Drinker Respirator.   Emerson's design still cost as much as a house, yet it was still somewhat reasonable, or about half the cost of other such respirators at the time. (see chart below) (2)

Emerson introduced his iron lung during a polio epidemic in 1931, and it soon became the most popular respirator in hospitals in Europe and the U.S.  Emerson's respirators continued to be the most used ventilator until  the 1950s and 60s when the Jonas Salk and Albert Sabin polio vaccine became available for kids around the world.  The vaccine was first introduced in 1954, and injected into millions of kids between 1956 and 1960 "with dramatic results." An oral vaccine was later introduced and administered to millions of kids between 1962 and 1964. (3)

There were various versions of the Emerson Lung, and the Drinker and Shaw Respirator, that were available in hospitals around the United States and Europe.  Richard Daggett, in his 2010 book "Not just polio: my life," explains that the machines made a whooshing sound as air entered and exited the patient's lungs. He explained that he was placed in a Drinker Collins Iron Lung in the early 1950s, and he described waking up in the machine: (4, page 30, 31)
There was a mirror over my head and, in the mirror, I could see a row of large black bellows across the room.  They were going up and down.  I didn't know much about respirators, but I figured one of them must be making me breathe.  I tried to figure which one it was by timing my breathing with the motion of each bellows.  None of them seemed to match my breathing pattern. It wasn't until later in the day, when my mirror was adjusted upward, that I realized that those bellows were all attached to the underside of other respirators.  I couldn't see mine because it was beneath me.... I was in a Drinker Collins Iron Lung."  (4, page 29)
Daggett explains that as a child it was difficult to grasp the seriousness of having bulbospinal polio and, ultimately, pneumonia.  He wrote: "I was very naive. I had no understanding of how serious my condition was.  Oh, I knew I was completely paralyzed, but the long-term impact did not sink in.  My greatest concern was that I might miss the first day of school." (4, page 33)

It must have been common for these patients to develop pneumonia, as their would have been constant secretions forming in the upper air passages that needed to be cleared, or they would be inhaled, thus causing respiratory infections such as pneumonia.  Daggett mentions the constant urge to blow his nose, which he often did "without even using a tissue." (4, page 31, 33)

Because their muscles of respiration would have been paralyzed, these patients would have lacked the ability to clear their own secretions. So, despite having the means of breathing for them, some of these patients still drowned in their own secretions. Others developed pneumonia, and this this further complicated treatment. So keeping airways clear of secretions was a constant concern for caregivers. This made it important to have easy access to these patients.

Yet bulky iron lungs made it hard to access patients. Their bed had to be slid out from inside the tank, and artificial breaths performed manually. One person had to turn the patient, while another cleared secretions.

This problem was remedied somewhat with the invention of a suction device in 1937.  Daggett said he had a tracheotomy that gave caregivers an easy means of clearing his airway. This may have been aided by an early suction device. (4, page 30)

Iron lungs were viewed as neat life saving devices. Yet they were also viewed as horrible way to spend the rest of your life. Thankfully, for most of those kids inflicted with polio, the paralyzation was only temporary, with most recovering after spending a week or  two inside a tank. Many, like Dagget, lived to tell their stories.

Iron lungs were replaced during the 1950s by positive pressure breathing machines. This was a necessary change because it made it easier to access patients. This also made it easier to breathe for patients during operations and in emergency situations. Still, during an era when many children were inflicted with a paralyzing disease, the iron lung was a godsend.

Here are some interesting facts about iron lungs from http://americanhistory.si.edu/ :
  1. The National Foundation of Infantile Paralysis began mass distribution of tank respirators in 1939
  2. In the 1930s, an iron lung cost about $1,500  -- the average price of a home
  3. 1n 1959 there were 1,200 people using tank respirators in the U.S., in 2004 there were 39

References
  1. "The Iron Lung and Other Equipment,"  http://americanhistory.si.edu/,  http://americanhistory.si.edu/polio/howpolio/ironlung.htm, accessed February 27, 2012
  2. Previtera, Joseph, "Negative Pressure Ventilation: Operating Procedure (Iron Lung)," Tufts Medical Center, Respirator Care Programs, http://160.109.101.132/respcare/npv.htm, and http://160.109.101.132/respcare/ironlung.htm, accessed February 27, 2012
  3. "Emerson Infant Respirator," Case Western Reserve University, Ditrick Medical History Center,  http://www.neonatology.org/pdf/EmersonInfantRespirator.pdf, accessed February, 27, 2012
  4. Daggett, Richard Lloyd, "Not just polio: my life story," 2010, Bloomington, IN, iUniverse
  5. Drinker, Charles, Charles F. McKhann, "The Use of a New Apparatus for the Prolonged Administration of Artificial Respiration: A Fatal Case of Poliomyelitis," Journal of the American Medical Association,  May 18, 1929, reprinted in same publication on March 21, 1986, volume 255, no. 11, pages 1473-1475 
  6. Drinker, Phillip A., Charles F. McKhann, "The iron lung: first practical means of respiratory support,"  Journal of the American Medical Association, 1986, March 21, vol. 255, no. 11,, pages 1476-1480

2 comments:


  1. My name is God'swill luckcent by name, I am from United Kingdom, i was diagnosed with Herpes for 2months, i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn't going to ever be well again. So I contacted Dr ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER), so before than
    doctors on this issue have wasted a large sum of money, but my condition never got better, i was determined to get my life back, so one day i saw a post from (John Lucy) from United States on how Dr ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER) saved her from the VIRUS with his herbal medicine cure, i contacted Dr ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER) on his email onobunwinhome@gmail.com we spoke on the issue, i told him all that, through that I need cure on my herpes diesass and DR ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER) told me that we need to buy some items for the cure, that I will have to send him the money through Western Union to buy the items by him self so that the spell will work for me for the cure and i DID send it fast and quick in, through Western Union at the Bank. so, that same day, once him have receive the money I sent to him, on Western Union Dr ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER) called me on Phone and told me that him have receiver the money that he is about to buy all the items him need for the casting of the spell and for the casting of the spell the spell will work for cure for me, and Dr also told me that, not to worry that everything will be fine soon and again once him have cast the cure spell on me, so he prepared the casting of the spell medicine on me and send it to me through Bible service air fine and told me how to use it that day, after that day of usage it, i get cured. I went to see the doctor for test ,then the result was cured ,i am the happiest man on his MUM earth ESTHER ONOBUN UWANPARA. this testimony is real.thanks to Dr ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER) for helping me cure me. God bless DR ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER) All your day will been well. you can also contact him on his email onobunwinhome@gmail.com or his Mobile phone number +2349132393661
    Dr ONOBUN GABRIEL( WATER )
    Also cure and brings EX back as followings,
    1 HIV/ADIS herbal cure.
    2 Cancer herbal cure.
    3 Joint break cure.
    4 herpes herbal medicine cure.
    5 jelee rice cure.
    6 HPV herbal medicine cure.
    7 Diabetes cure.
    8 get your ex back.
    9 Pregnancy Spell.
    10 HTP cure.
    11 Hepatitis airzzies cure.
    12 Covid 19 coronia vires cure.
    13) Asthma Cure.
    (14) I want to Get my Ex Back.
    (15) Tinnitus herbal cure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name his Steve Maries and I am from United State.I am so happy today, and i also appreciate the genuine work done by one love spell caster DR ONOBUN GABRIEL(WATER). And to give me the right direction to get back my Ex, so today I got my wish fulfilled under the guidance of my love Spell caster Dr ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER). ❤️ love is an important part of relationship. I can understand this, when my boyfriend had cheated on me and dump me, by engaging another girl’s with affairs at that time, I was Broken and realized the importance of love when my boyfriend, dump me in my life in relationship with him of love. My boyfriend did not give me the importance's of true love, and he always embarrassed me in front of his friends and family's, and I love my boyfriend so much. Then I search on the Internet to fine a spell caster that can
    bring back Ex, fine on me “one day" I find a real spell caster Called DR ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER) So I got the contact number +2349132393661 and his Email onobunwinhome@gmail.com of this spell caster DR ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER)” then I drop a message on his email that I want my Ex boyfriend back, because I so much love my boyfriend and also on his WhatsApp Number too, and I explain all my problems that is happening with me. So then Dr ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER) show me his previous work done by himself and how he had help so many people to get there Ex back and also help so many pretty once to get cured in there diesass and sinkness and to guide me on how the work will be done. Then i start work to get my boyfriend back in a positive way that Dr ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER) have interested me to do to get my boyfriend back, to start giving me respect and also never to leave me again for another girl. Then and now, I am 😀 so happy and thankful to Dr ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER). So Dr ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER)
    prepared a magic spell and cast a spell on my boyfriend to get him back to me, immediately, it work, my boyfriend
    was back within 24hrs time and now my Ex boyfriend his back to me now begging me in positive and nagative side effects, and to have him back again,
    and my boyfriend promise now that he will never, to leave me again for another girl. Me and my boyfriend is 🍷 wine forever more. I am so happy now that my Ex boyfriend is back by DR ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER) spell. Dr said I should share is testimony on interview and internet once my boyfriend is back to me, and that is why I am sharing his good testimony in the internet and interview to have others to come for help in contact. So if you have a broke up with your Ex, contact Dr ONOBUN GABRIEL (WATER) on his email onobunwinhome@gmail.com and explain, Or call his phone Number or Whatsapp +2349132393661 for help.



    ReplyDelete